Okay, I think my last blog entry warrants a discussion.
Crushed velvet is "velvet processed to have an uneven, slightly wrinkled surface." Velour is "a velvetlike fabric of rayon, wool, or any of several other natural or synthetic fibers, used for outerwear and upholstery." So, to really understand the difference between crushed velvet and velour you have to understand or know what just regular old velvet is. Velvet is "a fabric of silk, nylon, acetate, rayon, etc., sometimes having a cotton backing, with a thick, soft pile formed of loops of the warp thread either cut at the outer end or left uncut. " For a quick translation, possibly better definitions: crushed velvet is an uneven velvet and velour is a velvet wannabe. You know, like a person trying to fit in and who goes a little too far. (Credits: the first three definitions are from the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease. Here's a link so that they don't get all freaky on me:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipd/A0394529.html. The last couple of definitions are de moi which means "from me" in French.)
3 comments:
Velvet? My parents always talk about some band The Velvet Underground. Any knowledge on this? Do they wear velvet? Is that rock star material? I need to know.
Annie Margaret
I think velvet works on rock stars. I would think that The Velvet Underground at least wore velvet underwear. Hey, that might be cool (as in neat, not cold) to wear in the winter. Here's some info. on the band. No confirm yet on whether or not they wore velvet. I'll find out. Post later.
http://www.velvetunderground.com/velvetsbio.html
Lauren, you are one clever grrl!!!
I like your analogies (the wannabe one, for example). You sound like someone who does well in school.
Post a Comment